2019 CNAY-Columbia Scholarship
The Center for Native American Youth, in partnership with Columbia University’s Summer Immersion Program for High School Students, is offering one full-tuition, residential scholarship for a Native student to attend a 3-week pre-college program during summer 2019 in New York City.
The CNAY-Columbia scholarship covers the cost of housing, tuition, weekday meals, coursework materials, and other required student services. The estimated value of the scholarship is over $10,000.
*Students are financially responsible for their own travel to and from the program, as well as spending money for incidentals, souvenirs, and recreational activities. Columbia University recommends a generous amount of $900 to cover expenses such as weekend meals, laundry, personal items, weekend transportation, and admission fees for optional activities around the city. CNAY suggests contacting your tribal nation, school and other local organizations to identify funding to cover travel and spending money.
*NOTE DEADLINE EXTENSION*
APPLICATION EXTENDED: Due on March 15, 2019 11:59 PM Eastern Time.
2019 Program Session Dates:
Session I: June 24-July 12
Session II: July 16-August 2
Eligibility: Scholarship applicants must be:
- American Indian, Alaska Native, or Native Hawaiian;
- In grades 9-12 or entering their first year of college in Fall 2019; and
- At least 15 years old by the start of the program.
*Note that students age 15 must provide a letter from parents/guardians attesting to student’s maturity and ability to look after oneself while at Columbia and in New York.
Complete the online scholar application which includes the following materials:
- Proof of tribal enrollment or descendance;
- High school transcript (unofficial transcripts accepted);
- Explanation of curriculum selection (one paragraph); and
- Response to an essay prompt (750-word maximum)
- This form should be submitted by a guidance counselor, principal, or headmaster commenting on the student’s intellectual ability, level of maturity, and motivation for participating in the Columbia University Summer Program for High School Students.
- For Rising Junior-Seniors – This form must be submitted by an instructor who teaches in a field closely related to the applicant’s chosen curricular option. The form should describe the student’s knowledge of that field and assess the student’s qualification to engage in concentrated study.
- For Rising Freshmen-Sophomores – This form must be submitted by anyinstructor familiar with the student’s work. The form should describe the student’s academic talents and potential to benefit from the experience at Columbia.
*Applicants may submit an optional, supplemental High School resume.
All materials must be submitted to CNAY by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on March 15, 2019.
For more information on the program and course options, visit the Columbia Summer Program for High School Students website and FAQ page. Note that applicants for the CNAY-Columbia scholarship must apply through CNAY’s online process, not Columbia’s portal. If selected, CNAY will guide the scholar through Columbia’s process. The scholar’s space in the program is reserved, and their application will be expedited through Columbia’s process. Columbia’s timeline and fee structure do not apply to the CNAY-Columbia applicant.
Contact Joshua Bertalotto at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.