Native Youth Are Medicine
During September of 2020, The Center for Native American Youth, the Native Wellness Institute, We R Native, and the Tribal Health Reaching Out Involves Everyone (THRIVE) project launched the Native Youth Are Medicine Campaign to spark conversations around mental health, self-love, and to create youth-centered spaces to share practices that promote healing, wellness, and tools to live in balance.
Together we have hosted a variety of virtual gatherings, including webinars, resource sharing, and discussions to promote holistic wellness for Native American youth. A keystone of this campaign is to amplify and share content that destigmatizes caring for mental wellbeing and promotes healing.
We have compiled mental health and self love resources into a Self-Love & Healing Bundle. As a collective, we have put together a guide of resources to connect Native American youth with ancestral knowledge and other culturally-relevant resources for those who are seeking support. See below for all of the contents in the Self-Love and Healing Bundle.
Native Youth Are Medicine Campaign:
Celebrating Self Love:Tell us what self-love and self-care means to you by submitting to the Celebrating Self Love Call for Submissions. This is open to Native people of ALL ages.
Communities of Healing Power Hours:
- Communities of Healing Kickoff
- Caring for My Physical Health
- Caring for My Emotional Health
- Caring for My Mental Health
- Caring for My Spiritual Health
- Youth Words of Encouragement
- Elders Words of Encouragement
- Self-Love & Healing Bundle Launch
Native Youth Wellness:
See below for resources on caring for all parts of Native youth wellness.
- Feeling good
- How does a person become resilient?
- Improve your mood
- Challenging negative self talk
- Seeking counseling or therapy
- Getting help
- Feeling healthy
- Life tips
- Ask Auntie
- Empowering Yourself and Others
- Practicing Self Care Coloring Book
- We R Native Coloring Book
- Healing Plan
- Engage Your Happiness Chemicals
- How Well Am I Part I & How Well Am I Part II
- Traditional Stories of Sexuality
- The Power of Positive Thinking
- Native Youth Wellness
- My Self-Care Plan
- Warrior Shield
Text messaging service:
- Text CARING to 65664
- Text NATIVE to 97779
- Elder messages (HNY)
The Center for Native American Youth, We R Native, THRIVE, and the Native Wellness Institute want to emphasize that Native youth are medicine, that they are important, and they are scared.