6/6 Gen-I NOW: Fresh Tracks West Coast Leadership Training
Oppun towih? How are you? in the Miwok language.
(pronounced ope-poon toh-wee)
This Gen-I Native Opportunities Weekly (NOW) message shares information about the Fresh Tracks West Coast Leadership Training Expedition in Long Beach, CA.
Fresh Tracks brings youth from urban and Indigenous communities together during a three-day expedition, using the outdoors as a background for transformative leadership development. Youth will learn valuable organizing skills, create community action plans, and work with the Center for Native American Youth, along with partners from Children & Nature Network’s Natural Leaders and Opportunity Youth United, to make a lasting impact in their home communities. The second of four regional trainings will be held in Long Beach, California from July 13-15 (including travel dates). Travel, lodging, and meals will be covered for selected participants.
Applications are due 11:59 PM Pacific Time on June 29 for out-of-state participants or July 6 for in-state participants.
Eligibility: Applicants must:
- Currently reside in the West Coast region of the US;
- States include: Washington, Oregon, and California.
- Be between the ages of 18 and 24 years old;
- Be able to participate in all program activities from July 13-15;
- Be interested in cross-cultural community building; and
- Have a desire to create change in their communities.
To Apply: Complete the online application and be prepared to discuss what the following topics mean to you in brief, written responses (100-200 words):
- Civic engagement;
- Cultural competency;
- Hometown stewardship;
- Leadership; and
- The importance of connecting people with nature.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202) 736-3554.