CNAY Partners with Columbia University to Offer Summer Program Scholarship
The Center for Native American Youth will award one full-tuition and residential scholarship for a Native student to attend Columbia University’s Summer Program for High School Students during summer 2017 in New York City. This scholarship is offered by CNAY in partnership with Columbia University’s Secondary School Programs.
The CNAY-Columbia scholarship covers the cost of housing, tuition, weekday meals, coursework materials and other required student services. The estimated value of the scholarship is over $10,000. *Students are financially responsible for their own travel to and from the program, as well as spending money for incidentals, souvenirs, and recreational activities.
*Columbia University recommends a generous amount of $900 to cover expenses such as weekend meals, laundry, personal items, and transportation and admission fees for optional activities around the city. CNAY suggests contacting your tribal nation, school and other local organizations to identify funding to cover travel and spending money.
All application materials are due to CNAY by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on March 3, 2017. CNAY will select the scholarship recipient the following week and connect with the student to clarify next steps.
Session I: June 25-July 15, 2017
Session II: July 17-August 5, 2017
CNAY will accept applications for both the Junior-Senior and Freshman-Sophomore Divisions.
- Junior-Senior Division: Available to students who will enter grades 11 or 12 or first year of college in Fall 2017.
- Freshman-Sophomore Division: Available to students who will enter grades 9 or 10 in Fall 2017.
A complete application includes all of the following materials:
- Youth Scholarship Application (includes essay, unofficial transcript and proof of tribal enrollment or descendency)
- Recommendation Form #1
- This form should be submitted by a guidance counselor, principal, or headmaster commenting on the student’s intellectual ability, level of maturity, and motivation for participating in the Columbia University Summer Program for High School Students.
- Recommendation Form #2
- For juniors and seniors – this form must be submitted by an instructor who teaches in a field closely related to the applicant’s chosen curricular option. The comments should describe the student’s knowledge of that field and assess the student’s qualification to engage in concentrated study.
- For high school first years and sophomores – this form must be submitted by a teacher familiar with the student’s work. The comments should describe the student’s academic talents and potential to benefit from the experience at Columbia.
- Recommended: High School Resume
All materials must be received by CNAY by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on March 3,2017.
If you have questions or would like to request additional information, please contact Amber Richardson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 736-3577.